Every year a significant number of firefighters die in accidents involving apparatus. Most of these accidents can be prevented through policy enforcement, proper apparatus training, vehicle maintenance, and the use of safety devices. As it is essential for firefighters to arrive on a scene safely, it cannot be stressed enough the importance of the operator having a positive attitude that contributes to a safe work environment for everyone on board the fire apparatus.
FETN's Apparatus training examines some of the most common causes of apparatus deaths and identifies the changes the fire industry has undergone, which include improvements in fire apparatus, the newest breakthroughs in response vehicles, and the latest practices used by modern firefighters to safely fight fires.
Apparatus Training Benefits
- Identify some innovative emergency apparatus safety features that help improve scene safety and protect emergency responders.
- Identify the cost of new NFPA-compliant apparatus, trade-in value, and net cost calculations.
- Identify areas where training could improve performance and reduce apparatus related deaths.
- Identify techniques used to safely recover control of the apparatus once the apparatus has left the hard surface of the roadway.
- Identify five impact areas on the fire department and the community when a fatality occurs from a fire apparatus incident.
Apparatus Training Courses
- Airbag Update 2007, Part 1
- Airbag Update 2007, Part 2
- Accountability: Across the Pond
- American Heat's 20th Anniversary: Then and Now
- Big Rig Rescue
- Big Rig Rescue Series, Part 1
- Big Rig Rescue Series, Part 2
- Big Rig Rescue Series, Part 3
- Bus Rescue
- Chain Reaction Collisions
- Emergency Procedures for Gasoline-Electric Hybrid Vehicles
- Firefighter Safety on the Roadway
- I-4 Pile-Up
- Managing the Fireground: SCBA Failure
- NFPA 1901: Annex D, Part 1
- NFPA 1901: Annex D, Part 2
- Reducing Deaths in Apparatus
- Safe Arrival
- Safe Parking: Street Survival
- Safe Parking: Tools and Equipment
- SCBA, Part 1
- SCBA, Part 2
- School Bus Rescue, Part 1
- School Bus Rescue, Part 2
- School Bus Rescue, Part 3
- School Bus Rescue, Part 4
- Survival! Lessons Learned From the Big Box Mayday - Southwest Supermarket Fire, Part 1
- Survival! SCBA Confidence Training, Part 1
- Survival! SCBA Confidence Training, Part 2
- Survival! SCBA Endurance
- Transportation Incidents
- Vehicle Driving Operations, Part 1
- Vehicle Driving Operations, Part 2
- Vehicle Driving Operations, Part 3
- Vehicle Fires: Investigation
- Vehicle Fires: New Technology and Response
- Vehicle Operations and Scene Safety
- Vehicle Rescue
- Vehicle Rescue, Part 1
- Vehicle Rescue, Part 2
- Vehicle Rescue, Part 3